Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mickey Mouse Pinata

So for Liams 1st Birthday I had thought about doing a Mickey theme but then decided on a Jungle theme instead. When I was throwing ideas around I made this Mickey Pinata. Now it is hanging above Liams bed instead! Here is how to make it!!
 
What I used:
A Costco sized Huggies box.
tape
craft glue
a roll of crepe paper
a couple sheets of tissue paper
tape
 
I started by cutting out the mouse ears shape. I used bowls for my drawing. You'll need two sets of ears, a front and a back.

Next I cut the flaps from the top and bottom of the box in half lengthwise. I took the strips and made them pliable by bending them and rubbing them along the edge of the table. It's kinda like curly ribbon. You just have to break the stiffness so you can bend it around the shape of the ears.
I attached the strips one side at a time. I started at the center corner of one ear and taped it into place. Then running along the edge I would place a piece of tape every now and then. You don't want to tape the whole thing or they won't be able to break it open, use just enough to hold it in place. I continued this until I wrapped around the whole thing. Taping in all the corners help it hold it's shape.

I turned it over and attached the other side the same way.

I left this gap in the top so I could fill it with candy.

I didn't get a picture, but at this point I would poke a hole in the front and back to fish your wire through. Once you've added the wire you can cover the box with paper.

I started at the edges. I ran lines of glue along the edges on both the top and side of the pinata. Next I covered them up with the crepe paper.

I did this on both sides

Then I covered the entire thing with a layer of black tissue paper. I glued it down and cut away the excess.

I covered the tissue paper with spirals of ruffled crepe paper. I started with the ears first.

First I went around the edge with the glue. Then I pulled the crepe paper into gathers as I layed it down. I would lay it in the glue and scrunch it up.

Once the outer layer was done I would start on the next layer making sure they overlapped a little.

 
After the ears were done, I did the same thing for the center. I covered both the front and back and sides with the crepe paper gathers.
For the sides I did the edges first then did a ruffle down the middle.
The only thing left to do is add a bow...or not depending if you want Mickey or Minnie, it can be used to hide the wire.

For the middle of the circle I scrunched a strip of the crepe paper into gathers and formed it into a circle and attached it to the center.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...